Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. was founded on January 13, 1913 by 22 collegiate women at Howard University. These students wanted to use their collective strength to promote academic excellence and to provide assistance to those in need.
102 years later, Deltas are continuing to build upon the legacy established by the founders. I am a proud member of this glorious organization, and there is no better way to celebrate today (on my blog) than to list a few of my favorite books by Delta authors.
In no particular order:
- The Selected Poems of Nikki Giovanni – Nikki Giovanni
- Destiny’s Divas – Victoria Christopher Murray
- This Just In – Yolanda Joe
- The Perfect Marriage – Kimberla Lawson Roby
- Chosen – Patricia Haley
- A Man’s Promise – Brenda Jackson
- Protect and to Serve – Gwyneth Bolton
I’ve had the distinct pleasure of meeting many of these Delta authors at various sorority gatherings and book signing events.
There are also dozens of independent and self-published Deltas authors out there whose works I hope to read one day. If you are one or know of any, please let me know. In the meantime, Happy Founders Day!